Nana Safiana is an independent documentary photographer, born in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, raised by immigrant parents who were refugees that fled Vietnam by boat (father) and land (mother) during the Vietnam War.
She was a former press photographer for two years (2011-2013) at Utusan Malaysia, a Malaysian newspaper company but later decided to quit her job to explore more outside of her comfort zone.
“Inspired by the story of my parents, I have a desire to gain greater understanding on how people can survive under challenging circumstances. I believe the power of exceptional stories which eventually will motivate us to become more aware of important issues, in hoping that everyone will contribute something to build a better generations, a better world.
So through photography, I learn how to express my perspectives. Every moment teaches me something, whether it’s about myself or the subject itself, or even the world, I always end up learning something new and gain priceless knowledge.”
Nana safiana is currently juggling between her day job and her passion in photography, pursuing several long terms personal projects but open to any possible assignments, exhibitions, collaborations and projects.
- 1 of 100 photographer for TOKYO CURIOSITY 2020 exhibition held in Bunkamura Gallery, Tokyo, from Oct 20, 2020 to Nov 12, 2020.
- She was commissioned to be one of the photographer for Tokyo-Ga photography project by KLEE INC TOKYO PARIS
- A Nominee for World Press Photo 6x6 Southeast Asia & Oceania 2019.
- She started to document her personal projects, "Love in 21st Century."
- 3 months off in Morocco, Spain and Italy.
- Maxis Malaysia commissioned her as one of speaker for a campaign titled “The Endangered Malaysians” in conjunction with the upcoming Merdeka Day celebrations to support the conservation of at-risk species.
- Nana Safiana traveled to Fujiyoshida, Japan to document a series about Mount Fuji from her perspective and personal journey.
- Symphony, was exhibited at Espacekuu Gallery, Taisho University, in Tokyo, Japan from 1st.Oct.2017 - 24th.Dec.2017.
- Nana Safiana was commissioned for Make it Real commercial campaign by Sunsilk, to voice out about how the young generation in Malaysia should pursue their dream.
- Nana Safiana traveled in West China by cycling from Urumqi all the way down to Tashkurgan from end of April till early June and also backpacked around Kyrgyzstan before heading back in Malaysia.
- Nana Safiana was commissioned to be one of the photographer for TWO MOUNTAINS PROJECT, project by KLEE INC PARIS TOKYO and KLPA.
- Nana Safiana won Scholarship for Foundry Photojournalism Workshop (Maggie Steber class) in Bali, Indonesia.
- Nana Safiana started to document the inspiring life of disabled community, Yayasan Cahaya Mutiara Ubud, in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
- Nana Safiana featured in Cleo Hot Shots 2015, one of The 30 smart and creative Malaysian women powering to the top.
- She went on sabbatical for the first half year to look for her inner vision and voice.
- Nana Safiana started investigating on Cham people routes, her mother ancestry in Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- Nana Safiana quit her job and started to travel alone around Asia to find inspiration and learn how to survive out of her comfort zone.
- Nana Safiana started freelance on editorial for Newzulu Limited.
- 'Strangers in Frame' exhibited at White Box Publika, Kuala Lumpur, during Arts and Photo Week.
- Winner of Dare to Dream Challenge, Photojournalism Category, presented by International Greentech & Eco Products Exhibition & Conference Malaysia (IGEM).
- Internship and contributor for Utusan Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
- Graduated with Diploma in Photography from University Selangor, Malaysia.
- Working full time as a press photographer for Utusan Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.