I am Independent Photographer born in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, raised by immigrant parents who once were refugees that fled Vietnam by boat (father) and land (mother) during the Vietnam War.
I have been exposed to others' pain, suffering, hatred, violence and death when I was working as a press photographer for one of Malaysian Newspaper then later I decided to quit my job as I believe every story has two different sides, hence I learn to turn things around me into kind things, beautiful things.
Inspired by the story of my first muse which is my mother, I have a desire to gain greater understanding on how people can survive under challenging circumstances. I believe that every soul who inspires through exceptional-tough experience can contribute and communicate with the future generation, which eventually will motivate us to shape a better generations, a better world.
So through photography, I express my perspectives to educate my social through images that could evoke emotions, exposed them with the power of compassion, empathy, humility, love and peace. Every photo I take teaches me something, whether it’s about myself or the subject itself, or even the world, I always end up learning something new and gain priceless knowledge.
- Nana Safiana travel to Fujiyoshida, Japan to shoot a a series about Mount Fuji from her perspective and personal journey.
- Symphony, was exhibit at Espacekuu Gallery, Taisho University, in Tokyo, Japan from 1st.Oct.2017 - 24th.Dec.2017.
- Nana Safiana was paid for Make it Real commercial campaign for Sunsilk, to voice out about how the young generation in Malaysia should chase their dream.
- Nana Safiana traveled in West China by cycling from Urumqi all the way down to Tashkurgan from end of April till early June and also backpacked around Kyrgyzstan before heading back in Malaysia on 18th June.
- Nana Safiana been commissioned to be one of the photographer for TWO MOUNTAINS PROJECT, project by KLEE INC PARIS TOKYO and KLPA.
- Nana Safiana won Scholarship for Foundry Photojournalism Workshop (Maggie Steber class) in Bali, Indonesia.
- Nana Safiana started to document the inspiring life of Rare disabled community, Yayasan Cahaya Mutiara Ubud, in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
- Nana Safiana featured in Cleo Hot Shots 2015, one of The 30 smart and creative Malaysian women powering to the top.
- She went on sabbatical for the first half year to look for her inner vision and voice.
- Nana Safiana started investigating on Cham people routes, her mother ancestry in Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- Nana Safiana quit her job and started to travel alone around Asia to find inspiration and learn how to survive out of her comfort zone.
- Nana Safiana started freelance on editorial for Newzulu.
- Her personal work, 'Strangers in Frame' exhibited in White Box Publika, Kuala Lumpur, during Arts and Photo Week.
- Winner of Dare to Dream Challenge, Photojournalism Category, presented by International Greentech & Eco Products Exhibition & Conference Malaysia (IGEM ).
- Internship and contributor for Utusan Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
- Graduated with Diploma in Photography from University Selangor, Malaysia.
- Working full time as a press photographer for Utusan Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.